ABOUT THE MATCH
As they gear up for the ICC World T20 Qualifier, hosts Singapore face Zimbabwe in the winner-takes-all final game of the Singapore T20i Tri-Nation Series. The match will take place at the Indian Association Ground, Singapore.
The hosts go into the game a point behind Zimbabwe, having won their last meeting last month. They posted 181/9 in a reduced 18-over game and Zimbabwe finished just short of 177/7. Singapore’s last match, against Nepal, was rained off.
Zimbabwe beat Nepal, twice most recently with Sean Williams’ second consecutive half-century helping them to 160/6 before he took 3-21 to earn them a 40-run win. They are a point clear of Singapore and favorites to wrap up overall victory in this tri-series.
Zimbabwe is yet to win the toss in the tournament but the trend for teams that have won the toss has been to bat first in Singapore.
PITCH AND CONDITIONS
The thunderstorms that prevented play in the penultimate game of the series are due to abate just after lunchtime in Singapore. From then on, it is set fair for the day – though the chance of rain will continue to hover around 20 percent.
The Singapore pitch has been balanced and, crucially, consistent too. There is something in it for the batsmen and the bowlers.
PROBABLE PLAYING XI OF Singapore
Rohan Rangarajan, Navin Param, Tim David, Manpreet Singh (wk), Surendran Chandramohan, Janak Prakash, Aryaman Sunil, Sidhant Singh, Vinoth Baskaran, Amjad Mahboob (c), Selladore Vijayakumar
PROBABLE PLAYING XI OF Zimbabwe
Brian Chari, Regis Chakabva, Tinotenda Mutombodzi, Sean Williams (c), Timycen Maruma, Ryan Burl, Richmond Mutumbami (wk), Tendai Chatara, Wellington Masakadza, Neville Madziva, Tony Munyonga
- Singapore has handed out five T20 international debuts in this series as they continue to make their first steps in the format.
- Neither Aahan Gopinath Achar or Anitra Dutta made a big impression last time out, however, so those changes could be reversed.
- Singapore bounced back from defeat to Nepal failing to defend 151/3 in the wake of a Paras Khadka onslaught – by beating Zimbabwe when these teams last met.
- Tim David and Manpreet Singh both hit 41 in a total of 181/9 before Amjad Mahboob’s 2-20 helped them restrict Zimbabwe to 177/7 from 18 overs.
- Zimbabwe is building for the future whatever that might hold given their current ICC suspension and they have beaten Nepal twice so far, either side of defeat to Singapore.
- Brian Chari, Richard Ngarava, Daniel Jakiel, and William Mashinge have all made their Zimbabwe T20i debuts in this series.
- Zimbabwe has beaten Nepal twice but lost to Singapore in between those victories.
- Sean Williams has been in excellent form, taking 2-19 in the first game as Zimbabwe restricted Nepal to 132/6 before winning by five wickets.
- He then scored 66 from 35 balls against the hosts, but Zimbabwe finished four runs short of Singapore’s 181/9 in a match reduced to 18 overs.
- They bounced back last time out, however, as Williams scored 53 in a total of 160/6 and took 3-21 as they held Nepal to 120/9 in reply.
PROBABLE WINNING TEAM:
Singapore might have won when these teams last met, but Zimbabwe are big favorites at the bookmakers and led by in-form Sean Williams will be keen to sign off with a win.
Click Here for Fantasy Picks.