The hearing in the alleged case of conflict of interest, involving Indian cricketing legend Rahul Dravid, concluded with BCCI ethics officer DK Jain in New Delhi on Tuesday saying, “his order can be expected soon.”
MPCA life member Sanjiv Gupta filed a complaint against Dravid, alleging conflict of interest in his current role as head of the National Cricket Academy (NCA) and being an employee of India Cements. “The hearing has been concluded. You can expect my order soon,” Jain said.
The former captain of India, 46, had previously explained his case at a personal hearing held on September 26 in Mumbai. Nevertheless, Dravid was asked by the ethics officers to depose a second time before him.
“A lawyer from BCCI and complainant Gupta were also heard,” a board official said.
Asked why Dravid was required to depose again, Jain added, “There is no special reason. I had some doubts and I thought I must clarify them”.
Dravid currently serves as the NCA Manager in Bengaluru, as well as being a vice president in the Indian Cements group, which owns the Chennai Super Kings IPL franchise.
He was also the head coach of India’s A and Under-19 teams before taking over the role of the head of the NCA, which involves monitoring both sides’ progress.
Dravid had defended himself in his earlier submission, saying he took leave from India Cements and had nothing to do with the Chennai Super Kings.
No person may hold more than one post at the same time, as per the BCCI constitution.
The Committee of Administrators (COA) was responsible for the BCCI when the September hearing took place, but on October 23 a new set of officer-bearers was elected, ending the Supreme Court-appointed panel’s 33-month tenure.
If the move is approved by the apex court, several positions will be allowed for former players with less than two-year contracts with the BCCI or state associations. They will also be eligible to join several committees such as the Cricket Advisory Committee (CAC).