ABOUT THE MATCH
India will look to double their lead and maintain their unbeaten start to the ICC World Test Championship when they take on South Africa in Pune. The second match of their three-test series takes place at the Maharashtra Cricket Association Stadium between October 10 and October 14.
India, who have won all three tests they have played under the umbrella of the inaugural ICC World Test Championship, was in dominant form in the first test in Vishakhapatnam. Rohit Sharma hit a century in each innings, having opened the batting in the longest format for the first time, to help guide the hosts to victory.
South Africa was still in contention after the first innings, trailing by 71 at that point, but their bowlers were unable to make inroads as India set a big target and then ripped through the Proteas’ middle order in the second test. They have now lost three consecutive tests, having been beaten by Sri Lanka last time out too.
India won the toss in the first match and elected to bat, and batting first will definitely be the order of the day in this game too.
PITCH AND CONDITIONS
As with the first test, there is a risk of rain for much of the first five days though the forecast for scattered thunderstorms is more prominent this time out and there could be some heavy rainfall at times during next week.
Pune, one of India’s more recently built test grounds, has favored the batsmen in its short history so far.
Top Order Analysis:
Middle Order Analysis:
Top Order and Middle Order Analysis:
Top bowlers Analysis:
- India opted for Wriddhiman Saha behind the stumps last time out and two spinners Ravichandran Ashwin and Ravindra Jadeja.
- Together with the decision to open with Rohit Sharma for the first time in tests, the Indian selectors were proved justified in their selections and it could be an unchanged team.
- India has won all three matches they have played in this inaugural World Test Championship, beating West Indies in both matches before the IND vs SA 2019 series and opening this current engagement with a big win against South Africa.
- Rohit Sharma (176) and Mayank Agarwal (215) set the tone when they shared a 317-run opening partnership in 82 overs and India did not look back.
- Ravichandran Ashwin took seven wickets to ensure India was ahead at halfway, and another Rohit Sharma century took the game away from the Proteas.
- Mohammed Shami then ripped through the South African batting as India claimed a 203-run victory.
- But for some late partnerships, it could have been even more dominant too.
|Top 3 batsman India||Top 3 Middle Order India||Top 3 Bowler India|
|Rohit Sharma||Virat Kohli||Ravichandran Ashwin|
|Mayank Agarwal||Ajinkya Rahane||Ishant Sharma|
|Cheteshwar Pujara||Hanuma Vihari||Mohammed Shami|
- South Africa may look to make changes for this second test after coming up short in the first match.
- Zubayr Hamza is pushing for a spot in the batting line-up, where he could replace Theunis de Bruyn, while Anrich Nortje is looking for his test match debut too.
- Bringing the latter in, as a third pace option, would alter the balance of the team, however.
- South Africa have now lost their last three consecutive test matches. Surprise defeats to Sri Lanka were followed by their heavy loss in the first game of this series.
- At the halfway point, there were not out of it Dean Elgar’s 160 and Quinton de Kock’s 111 keeping the first-innings deficit to 71 after a poor start.
- When India raced to 323/4 in 67 overs, however, South Africa had no response.
- They were 70/8 in the second innings and eventually folded for 191 a 203-run defeat.
|Top 3 batsman South Africa||Top 3 Middle Order South Africa||Top 3 Bowler South Africa|
|Dean Elgar||Temba Bavuma||Keshav Maharaj|
|Aiden Markram||Faf du Plessis||Kagiso Rabada|
|Zubayr Hamza||Quinton de Kock||Senuran Muthusamy|
PROBABLE WINNING TEAM:
India is in superb form and if anything stops them in this match it seems unlikely to be their own performance. Weather-permitting, they can make it two wins from two.
Click Here for Fantasy Picks.