PITCH AND CONDITIONS
As with the first test, there is a risk of rain for much of the first five days though the forecast for scattered thunderstorms is more prominent this time out and there could be some heavy rainfall at times during next week.
Pune, one of India’s more recently built test grounds, has favored the batsmen in its short history so far.
- India opted for Wriddhiman Saha behind the stumps last time out and two spinners Ravichandran Ashwin and Ravindra Jadeja.
- Together with the decision to open with Rohit Sharma for the first time in tests, the Indian selectors were proved justified in their selections and it could be an unchanged team.
- India has won all three matches they have played in this inaugural World Test Championship, beating West Indies in both matches before the IND vs SA 2019 series and opening this current engagement with a big win against South Africa.
- Rohit Sharma (176) and Mayank Agarwal (215) set the tone when they shared a 317-run opening partnership in 82 overs and India did not look back.
- Ravichandran Ashwin took seven wickets to ensure India was ahead at halfway, and another Rohit Sharma century took the game away from the Proteas.
- Mohammed Shami then ripped through the South African batting as India claimed a 203-run victory.
- But for some late partnerships, it could have been even more dominant too.
PROBABLE PLAYING XI OF India
Rohit Sharma, Mayank Agarwal, Cheteshwar Pujara, Virat Kohli (c), Ajinkya Rahane, Hanuma Vihari, Wriddhiman Saha, Ravichandran Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja, Ishant Sharma, Mohammed Shami
- South Africa may look to make changes for this second test after coming up short in the first match.
- Zubayr Hamza is pushing for a spot in the batting line-up, where he could replace Theunis de Bruyn, while Anrich Nortje is looking for his test match debut too.
- Bringing the latter in, as a third pace option, would alter the balance of the team, however.
- South Africa have now lost their last three consecutive test matches. Surprise defeats to Sri Lanka were followed by their heavy loss in the first game of this series.
- At the halfway point, there were not out of it Dean Elgar’s 160 and Quinton de Kock’s 111 keeping the first-innings deficit to 71 after a poor start.
- When India raced to 323/4 in 67 overs, however, South Africa had no response.
- They were 70/8 in the second innings and eventually folded for 191 a 203-run defeat.
PROBABLE PLAYING XI OF South Africa
Dean Elgar, Aiden Markram, Zubayr Hamza, Temba Bavuma, Faf du Plessis, Quinton de Kock, Dane Piedt, Keshav Maharaj, Kagiso Rabada, Senuran Muthusamy, Vernon Philander
OUR FANTASY LEAGUE PICKS FOR INDIA VS SOUTH AFRICA 2nd TEST IN SOUTH AFRICA TOUR OF INDIA 2019 ARE MENTIONED BELOW:
- Virat Kohli (VC)
- Ravindra Jadeja
- Quinton de Kock
- Mohammed Shami
- Faf du Plessis
- Ravichandran Ashwin
- Keshav Maharaj
- Rohit Sharma (C)
- Dane Piedt
- Dean Elgar
- Mayank Agarwal
Click Here for Match Prediction.
*Disclaimer: This team is based on the understanding, analysis, and instinct of the author. While selecting your team, consider the points mentioned and make your own decision.*