Former Indian pacer S Sreesanth failed to shortlist for the 2021 Indian Premier League (IPL) auction. S Sreesanth last featued in the IPL back in 2013 for Rajasthan Royals before he was banned from the tournament for match-fixing. The 2021 IPL auction is scheduled to take place in Chennai on February 18.
S Sreesanth fails to make it to the IPL auction list
The 2011 World Cup-winning speedster registered himself for a base price of INR 75 lakhs. A total of 1114 cricketers went under the hammer in the previous auction, however, the number has been cut-short to 292 players this season, out of which 164 are Indians.
“A total of 1114 players had registered for the auction, of which the franchises shortlisted the candidates and the list was pruned. Maybe, Sreesanth did not attract the franchises for some reason,” one of the franchise officials was quoted as saying to Sportstar.
No IPL franchise displayed an interest in Sreesanth this season. Having said that, being dropped out of this year’s IPL auction hasn’t affected Sreesanth so much. The 38-year-old ace bowler uploaded a 3-minute Instagram video after the news came out. Sreesanth, in the following video, can be heard saying that he grateful for his fans and he is optimistic about making a comeback in the IPL in the coming season.
View this post on Instagram
“I am not looking only at Mushtaq Ali but also to win Irani and Ranji. If I do well, I will get more opportunities. I have been getting inquiries for IPL, too, and I have to make sure that I am fit and bowling well,” he stated.
“Certainly. It gave me great pleasure to be among the 13 shortlisted players from Kerala after all these years but my pursuit will not stop if there are no takers for me,” Sreesanth, previously, said.