Shah has been withdrawn:
The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) declared that it took a tough approach by deciding to withdraw Shah, who has already made an effect in senior men’s cricket by playing three Tests and bagging five wickets.
Naseem Shah is a sixteen-year-old Pakistani right-arm fast bowler, who has been withdrawn from the upcoming U19 World Cup, which is scheduled to be played in South Africa from 17th January to 9th February. In an official statement, the PCB announced that Mohammad Wasim Jnr had been named Shah’s replacement.
PCB Chief Executive Wasim Khan:
“In international cricket, the ICC U19 Cricket World Cup is the step for future stardom and the best platform for growing youngsters. Recently Naseem has broken that glass ceiling and established his references as international cricket,” PCB Chief Executive Wasim Khan said.
“This should not check Pakistan’s chances at next year’s ICC U19 Cricket World Cup as the selectors have selected a side that is accomplished and effusing with confidence to perform strongly,” Khan added.
He further said, “that right-arm pacer will remaining players in Pakistan and continue to work on his skills under bowling coach Waqar Younis, Moreover, he will remain available for the home series against Bangladesh.”
Naseem Shah’s career:
Naseem Shah was selected in October for Pakistan’s senior team when he made his international debut in Australia in November 2019.
In the ACC Asia Cup and on the tour of South Africa Wasim took each three wickets. On the tour of Sri Lanka, he bagged seven wickets. In three U19 three-day matches, he snapped up 7 wickets.
The 2004 and 2006 champions and three-time runners-up of the U19 World Cup, Pakistan, will play in Group C. They will be playing against Scotland in their opening match on January 19.
Pakistan’s 2nd match will be against Zimbabwe on January 22 at the Witrand Oval. Their 3rd and final group match will be on January 24 against Bangladesh.