ABOUT THE MATCH
Ireland will look to make it two wins from two when they take on the depleted hosts, the UAE, in their second match of the 2019 ICC T20 World Cup qualifier. The match, at Abu Dhabi’s Sheikh Zayed Cricket Stadium, takes place on October 19.
Ireland opened their campaign with a big win. Paul Stirling (62) and Andy Balbirnie (70*) shared a big second-wicket partnership to ensure Ireland made light work of chasing 154 to beat Hong Kong by eight wickets.
The UAE, with Mohammad Naveed, Shaiman Anwar, and Qadeer Ahmed all suspended due to anti-corruption charges, posted just 108/9 at the same venue in their first game. Oman lost just three wickets as they strolled to victory with ten balls to spare.
Ireland has not won the toss yet in the UAE losing it twice in the warm-ups and again in this opening game. They may elect to bat second again after victory against Hong Kong, should they finally win a toss in this game.
PITCH AND CONDITIONS
Temperatures will still be in the 30s in the evening when this match takes place under clear skies in sunny conditions in Abu Dhabi.
Despite the UAE’s struggles in their opening game, other scores from the warm-up matches and so far in this group suggest it is still very much a batting wicket at Abu Dhabi.
PROBABLE PLAYING XI OF UAE
Chirag Suri, Ashfaq Ahmed, Ghulam Shabber (wk), Rohan Mustafa, Muhammad Usman, Rameez Shahzad, Waheed Ahmed, Sultan Ahmed, Ahmed Raza (c), Zahoor Khan, Junaid Siddique
PROBABLE PLAYING XI OF Ireland
Paul Stirling, Kevin O’Brien, Andy Balbirnie, Harry Tector, Gary Wilson (c, wk), Stuart Thompson, David Delany, Gareth Delany, Mark Adair, Stuart Thompson, Boyd Rankin, George Dockrell
- Two of the UAE’s three late replacements slotted straight in for the opening game – Waheed Ahmed and Junaid Siddique having been involved against Oman.
- Only Darius D’Silva of the trio missed out, while there was also no place for Imran Haider in the bowling attack.
- Though they won both warm-up matches for this tournament, the UAE looked short of form in the first match.
- They posted just 108/9 from their 20 overs against Oman and lost by seven wickets with ten balls to spare.
- It ended their recent unbeaten streak, having whitewashed the Netherlands in the summer.
- Harry Tector squeezed his way into the batting line-up, while both Delanys – Gareth and David played the opening game and took a wicket apiece.
- Gary Wilson did not bat, while Shane Getkate, Lorcan Tucker and Craig Young were among the players to miss out. Ireland could be unchanged for this one.
- Ireland won three of their four matches in the Oman Pentangular Series to warm-up for this series and won their opening qualifier too.
- Mark Adair and Boyd Rankin were the picks of the economical bowling effort to restrict Hong Kong to 153/5, before Paul Stirling (62) and Andy Balbirnie (70*) led Ireland to a comfortable eight-wicket win.
PROBABLE WINNING TEAM:
Ireland opened with a win and the scandal-hit hosts do not look to have the quality in depth to beat the Irish.
Click Here for Fantasy Picks.