ABOUT THE MATCH
Jamaica Tallawahs must beat St Lucia Zouks at the Darren Sammy Cricket Ground, Gros Islet, to keep their Caribbean Premier League 2019 play-off hopes alive. The match takes place on September 27.
Sat bottom of the group after six defeats in eight games so far, the Tallawahs did beat Barbados Tridents last time out, however, to stay in top-four contention. Their bowlers were key as they defended 127 to win by five runs. Their batting collapse, after another good inning by in-form Glenn Phillips, was emblematic of their problems so far despite a star-studded line-up.
For St Lucia Zouks, they too go into this game on the back of a defeat – suffering an eight-wicket loss to unbeaten league leaders Guyana Amazon Warriors. They have been inconsistent so far but will take heart from their win against St Kitts & Nevis Patriots in their previous home game.
St Lucia Zouks have now lost the toss in their last three consecutive games so they are due this one. When they have won the toss, they have tended to field first.
PITCH AND CONDITIONS
The forecast is for clear skies over St Lucia with only the occasional cloud. Temperatures should stay in the high 20s throughout the evening.
Typically fast and flat, the St Lucia wickets have offered something for the batsmen so far thanks to the even bounce but the bowlers both types have also taken wickets.
PROBABLE PLAYING XI OF St Lucia Zouks
Andre Fletcher (wk), Rahkeem Cornwall, Colin Ingram, Colin de Grandhomme, Darren Sammy (c), Andre McCarthy, Chris Barnwell, Kesrick Williams, Jeavor Royal, Hardus Viljoen, Fawad Ahmed
PROBABLE PLAYING XI OF Jamaica Tallawahs
Glenn Phillips (wk), Chris Gayle, Chadwick Walton (c), Javelle Glen, George Worker, Andre Russell, Dwayne Smith, Shamarh Springer, Ramaal Lewis, Imran Khan, Zahir Khan
St Lucia Zouks
- Jahmar Hamilton made his first appearance of the tournament last time out, replacing Andre McCarthy in the only change from the win against St Kitts & Nevis Patriots.
- It has been a problematic spot for the Zouks, with John Campbell previously playing too.
- Otherwise, they were unchanged Jeavor Royal continuing in Obed McCoy’s absence.
- St Lucia Zouks have won just twice so far in CPL 2019 season, and once again failed to back up their victory last time out.
- They successfully defended 165/6 against St Kitts & Nevis Patriots to record a much-needed win, as Hardus Viljoen and Kesrick Williams each claimed three wickets and Fawad Ahmed took two in a 20-run victory.
- Last time out, Colin de Grandhomme hit 65 from 37 balls to leas the Zouks to 161/7 against Guyana Amazon Warriors but that was below par.
- The league leaders lost just two wickets as they chased it down with ten balls to spare.
- Andre Russell sat out the last match, with George Worker returning in his place, and the Tallawahs will be forced into another change this time after Jade Dernbach suffered a groin injury while bowling against Barbados Tridents.
- If Russell is passed fit, he could be the man to slot back in for Dernbach.
- Jamaica Tallawahs have only won two of their eight games so far this season and both of those victories came against Barbados Tridents.
- After Glenn Phillips’ 87 from 49 balls proved in vain, when the Tallawahs were bowled out for 156 chasing 177 to beat St Kitts & Nevis Patriots, it was their bowlers who got them back to winning ways last time out.
- Phillips again top-scored with the bat, but the Tallawahs looked in trouble after collapsing to 127 all out.
- Amazingly, though, they restricted the Tridents to just 122/9 with Imran Khan leading the way by claiming 3-19 from his four overs.
PROBABLE WINNING TEAM:
Neither side is in good form this season, but the Zouks have home advantage and can end Jamaica’s bid for a play-off place with a win.
Click Here for Fantasy Picks.