ABOUT THE MATCH
Hosts Singapore are the final team to get underway in this Tri-Nation Series, in which they are welcoming Nepal and Zimbabwe to the Indian Association Ground. The second game in the series, between the hosts and Nepal, will take place on September 28.
Singapore is preparing for the T20 World Cup Qualifier, having beaten Nepal in the regional qualifiers to book their place at the main event. Tim David scored 77 from 43 balls and Selladore Vijayakumer took 4-25 as Singapore thrashed Nepal by 82 runs in their final group game of that qualifier. This is their first match since.
Nepal has played just once since that match – the first game of this series, which they lost against Zimbabwe. Sandeep Lamichhane was back to his best for the Nepalese, continuing the form he most recently showed in the Caribbean Premier League as he claimed 3-15 from four overs. His efforts could not prevent a five-wicket defeat, however, as Zimbabwe chased 133 to win in 18.1 overs.
Nepal won the toss and elected to bat in the first game. Singapore is due this one therefore and could opt to bat first too – as they did with great success when these teams last met.
PITCH AND CONDITIONS
While the rest of the week looks ominous weather-wise, Saturday should be a clear day with just a few clouds and very little chance of rain. It will be hot and humid, however, with temperatures around the 30-degree mark.
The first game of this series reflected what was on show during the World T20 Asian qualifiers too – a balanced wicket, with a bit of spin, but one on which batsmen can settle and get some big scores too.
PROBABLE PLAYING XI OF Singapore
Rohan Rangarajan, Arjun Mutreja, Navin Param, Tim David, Manpreet Singh (wk), Surendran Chandramohan, Aryaman Sunil, Sidhant Singh, Vinoth Baskaran, Amjad Mahboon (c), Selladore Vijayakumar
PROBABLE PLAYING XI OF Nepal
Ishan Pandey, Paras Khadka (c), Aarif Sheikh, DS Airee, Kushal Malla, Sundeep Jora, Binod Bhandari (wk), Sompal Kami, Sandeep Lamichhane, Karan KC, Abinash Bohara
- Singapore has named an 18-man squad for this series, to be led again by Amjad Mahboob.
- There will be at least two changes from the win against Nepal when these teams last met Singapore’s most recent T20i.
- Chetan Suryawanshi and Anish Paraam are the two players to miss out. All 14 players selected for the List A Cricket World Cup Challenge League A are still in the squad.
- Singapore has won all three T20 internationals they have played since the ICC change to make all Associate matches full T20is.
- That was sufficient to book their place at the T20 World Cup qualifier.
- They beat Qatar by 13 runs in their first match and then, after their game with Kuwait was rained off, beat Malaysia by eight wickets thanks to Surendran Chandramohan’s half-century.
- Against Nepal, Tim David top-scored with 77 from 43 balls in a total of 191/6 before Selladore Vijayakumar’s four-wicket haul helped bowl the Nepalese out for 109 – earning Singapore top spot.
- Kushal Malla and Ishan Pandey made their T20 international debuts in the defeat to Zimbabwe.
- Pandey slotted straight in at the top of the order alongside captain Paras Khadka. Sandeep Lamichhane has linked up with the squad, meanwhile leaving his Caribbean Premier League commitments.
- The in-demand teenage leg-spinner has, to his credit, always put his country before franchise tournaments.
- Nepal’s defeat to Singapore cost them a place at the World T20 qualifier, and they made a losing start to this Tri-Nation series too.
- DS Airee top-scored as they posted 132/6 against Zimbabwe, but Sandeep Lamichhane’s 3-15 in the second innings could not prevent Zimbabwe claiming a five-wicket win with 11 balls to spare.
PROBABLE WINNING TEAM:
Singapore beat Nepal when they last met and are playing to prove their form ahead of the ICC World T20 Qualifier. If they carry on where they left off, they should claim a win on home soil.
Click Here for Fantasy Picks.