ABOUT THE MATCH
Papua New Guinea and Namibia are set to play a couple of T20 internationals against each other in the United States of America. The first match is scheduled to be played on September 24 at the Central Broward Regional Park Stadium Turf Ground in Lauderhill, Florida.
Papua New Guinea is coming off a very successful campaign in the Pacific Games Men’s Cricket Competition which was held at Apia in the month of July. They won each of their four fixtures during the league phase before securing a comfortable victory over Vanuatu in the final of the tournament.
Namibia too is carrying plenty of confidence and momentum with them after having annihilated Botswana at home in a four-match T20 international series played only last month. Each of the four encounters was one-sided affairs and the Namibians never really allowed their opponents to gain a foothold at any point in the series.
Seven out of the nine completed T20 Internationals that have been played at this ground have been won by the side batting first. Since bowlers tend to find more assistance from the pitch during the second period of play, the team that wins the toss here may want to bat first.
PITCH AND CONDITIONS
No rain has been forecast for Tuesday. However, there might be a bit of cloud cover during the match with a temperature of around 29-30 degrees Celsius. Humidity is expected to be between 53% and 55%.
Lauderhill has produced some big T20I scores in the recent past. The ground has hosted four matches in the 20-over format since last year with 150+ being scored on four occasions. The pitch has generally favored the side batting first and tends to slow down a bit during the second half.
PROBABLE PLAYING XI OF Papua New Guinea
Tony Ura, Norman Vanua, Assad Vala (c), Charles Amini, Lega Siaka, Hiri Hiri, Jason Kila, Kiplin Doriga (wk), Chad Soper, Riley Hekure, Nosaina Pokana
PROBABLE PLAYING XI OF Namibia
Christi Viljoen, JP Kotze (wk), Gerhard Erasmus (c), Craig Williams, Stephan Baard, Jan Frylinck, Pikky Ya France, Zane Green, Bernard Scholtz, Zhivago Groenewald, Ben Shikongo
Papua New Guinea
- Papua New Guinea has come up with a 14-man squad for this two-match T20 international series.
- Assad Vala will be leading the team and is likely to bat at number three while Tony Ura and Norman Vanua are expected to open the batting.
- Riley Hekure and Nosaina Pokana could start off the proceedings with the new ball in the powerplay.
- Papua New Guinea is yet to lose a 20-over game this year they have won all their eight completed T20s played so far this year.
- Their last T20 assignment came in July at the Pacific Games Men’s Cricket Competition held in Apia.
- Papua New Guinea fared very well in that tournament where they beat Samoa twice and Vanuatu thrice (including the final by 32 runs). Last year, however, they lost all their three T20s against the UAE at Abu Dhabi.
- Gerhard Erasmus will be leading Namibia’s 14-man squad for this T20 international series against Papua New Guinea.
- JP Kotze is likely to carry out the wicketkeeping duties and will open the innings alongside Christi Viljoen.
- Stephan Baard and Jan Frylinck are expected to bat in the middle order. Namibia is likely to throw the new balls over to Zhivago Groenewald and Ben Shikongo.
- Namibia has a 100% record in the twenty-over format. Till date, they have played seven matches in the format (all played this year) and have registered wins in each of those.
- They thrashed Botswana 4-0 at home in their previous T20 international series last month at Windhoek.
- Prior to that series in the month of May, Namibia won all their three encounters (versus Ghana, Uganda, and Botswana) at the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup Africa Region Final at Kampala.
PROBABLE WINNING TEAM:
Papua New Guinea has a few in-form players in their side and so we expect them to halt Namibia’s winning run come Tuesday.
Click Here for Fantasy Picks.