ABOUT THE MATCH
Perth Scorchers’ Women’s Big Bash League campaign gets underway belatedly when they take on Melbourne Renegades at the CitiPower Centre, Melbourne. The match takes place on October 23.
Perth is the only one of the eight teams not to have started yet their most recent match was last season’s ten-wicket win against Adelaide Strikers, in which Amy Jones and Meg Lanning starred. Those two return as part of a potentially big-hitting batting line-up this season too.
The Renegades, meanwhile, had Danni Wyatt in top form last time out as they bounced back from a defeat to the Adelaide Strikers by beating them at the second time of asking. They are one of five teams to have taken two points from their opening two games.
The tendency is to field first at the CitiPower Centre. Melbourne Renegades have lost the toss twice so far, they are due to win this one and may well look to chase as a result.
PITCH AND CONDITIONS
Summer arrives in St Kilda this week, with temperatures set to rise to the 30s on Thursday. There is zero chance of rain forecast, though there will be a fair bit of wind about.
Run rates have generally been good at the CitiPower Centre, though overall it would have to be described as a well-balanced pitch with some assistance for bowlers too.
PROBABLE PLAYING XI OF Melbourne Renegades Women
Sophie Molineux, Danni Wyatt, Tammy Beaumont, Claire Koski, Jess Duffin (c), Courtney Webb, Josie Dooley (wk), Maitlin Brown, Georgia Wareham, Molly Strano, Lea Tahuhu
PROBABLE PLAYING XI OF Perth Scorchers Women
Meg Lanning (c), Amy Jones (wk), Nicole Bolton, Nat Sciver, Kim Garth, Georgia Redmayne, Heather Graham, Taneale Peschel, Emma King, Piepa Cleary, Kath Hempenstall
Melbourne Renegades Women
- Melbourne Renegades kept faith with the same XI after they lost their first match to Adelaide Strikers, and they duly rewarded the selectors by winning the second game.
- It is likely to be the same XI again as a result.
- Melbourne Renegades opened the Women’s Big Bash League with two matches against Adelaide Strikers.
- They lost the first, after posting just 117/7 – having been 21/4 at the end of the powerplay.
- They won the second, however Danni Wyatt top-scored with 61 from 37 balls, sharing an 84-run second-wicket partnership with Tammy Beaumont, as the Renegades reached 154/5 to beat the Strikers.
Perth Scorchers Women
- Perth Scorchers have had to wait patiently for their first matches of the new Women’s Big Bash League campaign, with every other team having got underway except them.
- Since last season, Elyse Villani has moved the Melbourne Stars and English bowler Kate Cross is not retuning, but Nat Sciver adds international quality and Kim Garth is an interesting acquisition the Irishwoman having proved herself a canny all-rounder in the shortest form.
- Perth Scorchers are the final team to get their WBBL-05 campaign underway. Last season, they finished fifth just a point behind the Renegades though they did sign off their campaign in style.
- Playing against Adelaide Strikers, they were set 141 to win but Meg Lanning and Amy Jones each hit 70 not out to ensure they won by ten wickets with 20 balls remaining.
PROBABLE WINNING TEAM:
Perth Scorchers have had to wait to unleash their batting line-up on this tournament, but with Meg Lanning, Amy Jones, Nat Sciver and Nicole Bolton all among their top stars, this is a side packed with talent. They are favourites to win this game for a reason.
Click here to find out the Fantasy Picks.