ABOUT THE MATCH
West Indies and India start their ICC World Test Championship fixtures against each other in Antigua, with the tourists looking to wrap up a very successful tour so far. They won both the ODI and T20i series without losing a game.
India also beat West Indies when they last met, in October last year, but that win was at home. Nevertheless, with Virat Kohli leading the way they are among the favorites to top the World Test Championship. This match takes place between August 22-26.
West Indies will take some confidence from their last test series, however also at home when they beat England 2-1.
West Indies won the toss in their last match at the Sir Vivian Richards Stadium, when they beat England, and they will want to have similar success this time out. They could bowl first again if they think there will be life in this pitch.
PITCH AND CONDITIONS
Hot, a little humid but mostly sunny, the conditions in Antigua should be perfect for this test match, with temperatures up to 29 degrees Celsius every day.
Never short of controversy, the wicket at North Sound was rated below average last time West Indies played a toss here – uneven bounce being the factor cited. It has faced problems before and could be difficult to bat on again.
- Wriddhiman Saha could return as the wicket-keeper for this leg of the tour as he competes with Rishabh Pant behind the stumps.
- Jasprit Bumrah returns to the squad after being rested for the limited-overs matches, meanwhile.
- Ravichandran Ashwin, Cheteshwar Pujara and vice-captain Ajinkya Rahane are among the other test specialists to have linked up with their countrymen for IND vs WI 2019 matches.
- India beat West Indies 2-0 at home in October to bounce back from defeat to England and continued their winning return with a 2-1 victory against Australia across the turn of the year.
- Their most recent test match was a draw, however – Cheteshwar Pujara (193) and Rishabh Pant (159*) led them to 622/7 declared against the hosts.
- Kuldeep Yadav took 5-99 to restrict Australia to 300 but the follow-on only lasted four overs after the final day was washed out.
|Top 3 batsman Sri India||Top 3 Middle Order India||Top 3 Bowler India|
|Mayank Agarwal||Virat Kohli (c)Jasprit Bumrah|
|KL Rahul||Ajinkywa Rahane||Mohammed Shami|
|Cheteshwar Pujara||Hanuma Vihari||Kuldeep Yadav|
- Giant off-spinner Rahkeem Cornwall could be in line for a Test debut after taking 197 wickets in the domestic four-day competition over the past five seasons.
- He replaces Jomel Warrican in the squad from the those selected to beat England earlier this year.
- The only other player missing from that series is injured, Alzarri Joseph. Despite hinting he would like to play, Chris Gayle has been overlooked.
- West Indies ended their test-match losing streak with a shock 2-1 win against England earlier this year.
- Jason Holder hit a double-century as they won the first test by 381 runs, having bowled the tourists out for 77 in the first innings. In the second test, Kemar Roach took eight wickets and West Indies won by ten wickets.
- They did lose their most recent match, however – a 232-run defeat in the dead rubber third game.
|Top 3 batsman West Indies||Top 3 Middle Order West Indies||Top 3 Bowler West Indies|
|Kraigg Brathwaite||Darren Bravo||Shannon Gabriel|
|John Campbell||Shimron Hetmyer||Kemar Roach|
|Shai Hope||Roston Chase||Rahkeem Cornwall|
PROBABLE WINNING TEAM:
India is the favorites in the tournament so far they will look to dominate and snap an easy win against the Caribbeans.
Click here to find out the Fantasy Picks.