ABOUT THE MATCH
Guyana Amazon Warriors topped the table followed by Barbados Tridents in the second place in the first qualifier of the 2019 Caribbean Premier League play-offs. The match takes place at Providence Stadium on October 6 and the live-action starts at 15:30 local time.
The Warriors won all the ten matches they have played in the group stage, topping the table after a string of impressive performances. With Imran Tahir’s 3-12 in a 77-run defeat of Jamaica Tallawahs and Chandrapaul Hemraj claimed 3-15 as they beat Trinbago Knight Riders by seven wickets to finish strongly.
Barbados Tridents also finished the group stage giving a tough fight to other teams. Johnson Charles’ half-century led them to a seven-wicket win against Trinbago Knight Riders, which proved enough to earn them second place on net run rate.
Guyana Amazon Warriors won the toss in each of their final two group matches, most recently fielding first. Barbados Tridents could choose that same tactic.
Expecting some thunderstorms earlier in the day in Guyana, but they are forecast to clear by the time this game takes place. The chance of rain drops considerably through the afternoon and with high temperatures.
PITCH AND CONDITIONS
Though normally a balanced wicket, there is no question that recent matches at Providence Stadium, as Guyana finished the group stage with two home matches, saw the spinners thrive.
PROBABLE PLAYING XI OF GUYANA AMAZON WARRIORS
Brandon King, Chandrapaul Hemraj, Shimron Hetmyer, Nicholas Pooran (wk), Shoaib Malik (c), Sherfane Rutherford, Chris Green, Keemo Paul, Romario Shepherd, Imran Tahir, Qais Ahmad
PROBABLE PLAYING XI OF Barbados Tridents
Johnson Charles, Alex Hales, Shakib Al Hasan, JP Duminy, Shai Hope, Ashley Nurse, Jonathan Carter, Raymon Reifer, Jason Holder, Hayden Walsh Jr, Harry Gurney
GUYANA AMAZON WARRIORS
- Qais Ahmad and Romario Shepherd were replaced by Odean Smith and Ben Laughlin in the final group match.
- Even Shepherd had not bowled in the final group game either. Ahmad could be recalled on a turning wicket.
- Guyana Amazon Warriors won all ten matches in the league and became the first team in the Caribbean Premier League history to finish the group stage with a perfect record.
- Shoaib Malik’s 73 helped them recover from 8/4 to post 156/6 against Jamaica Tallawahs before Imran Tahir took 3-12 as they skittled the visitors for 79.
- Chandrapaul Hemraj led the bowling, taking 3-15 as they restricted Trinbago Knight Riders to 143/5 before Nicholas Pooran’s unbeaten 54 helped them to a seven-wicket win.
- Harry Gurney and Shakib Al Hasan made Barbados Tridents finish the group stage of CPL 2019 strongly, and they were expecting to have Shai Hope fit for the play-offs too after he missed every game so far.
- Jonathan Carter and Justin Greaves look more likely to make way.
- Barbados Tridents won three of their last four games to climb up the table and into the play-offs.
- It is no coincidence that their upturn in form followed the arrival of the likes of Harry Gurney and Shakib Al Hasan.
- The former took 3-17 as they bowled St Lucia Zouks out for 117 in reply to 141/6 – though Hayden Walsh did outshine him with 4-26.
- Then, Gurney and Shakib took two wickets apiece last time out as they restricted Trinbago Knight Riders to 134/8 before Johnson Charles’ half-century earned a seven-wicket win.
PROBABLE WINNING TEAM:
Guyana Amazon Warriors won all the ten that they have played in the group stage and, despite Barbados Tridents’ improvements at the last four games of the group stage, the Warriors can win this one too to earn a place in the final.
Click here to find out the Fantasy Picks