ABOUT THE MATCH
The 2019 Karnataka Premier League final pits Bellary Tuskers, the league winners, against Hubli Tigers – whose recent form fully merits their place in the tournament’s showpiece event. The KPL final takes place at Mysore on August 31.
Bellary Tuskers won four group games, with Krishnappa Gowtham in the superb all-round form in the final two matches, to top the league. Their four wins included a rare victory against Hubli Tigers. Chidhambaram Gautam then hit 96 from 63 balls as the Tuskers won the qualifier by 37 runs against Belagavi Panthers.
Hubli Tigers have only lost one of their last six matches, meanwhile, overcoming their two early defeats to charge through to the final. Mohammed Taha has led their batting and hit 63 in the second qualifier, while the arrival of IPL star Shreyas Gopal has been timely – he took 2-17 last time out.
Hubli Tigers lost the toss in both of their play-off matches so they are due to win this one, and they may elect to bat first given the general trend in Mysore.
PITCH AND CONDITIONS
Though cloudy in Mysore on Saturday, the weather is forecast to be warm (mid-20s) and the chance of rain is extremely low in the evening for this fixture.
Mysore generally offers a little assistance for seam bowlers and for spinners too. The batsmen have thrived there in this tournament, with some huge scores, but Hubli Tigers’ most recent playoff game was a reminder of what’s on offer for those with the ball.
PROBABLE PLAYING XI OF Bellary Tuskers
Abhishek Reddy, Codanda Ajit Karthik, Devdutt Padikkal, Chidhambaram Gautam (c, wk), Krishnappa Gowtham, Zeeshan Ali, Abrar Kazi, Bhavesh Gulecha, Prasidh Krishna, KP Appanna, Srinivas Sharath
PROBABLE PLAYING XI OF Hubli Tigers
Mohammed Taha, Luvnith Sisodia, Vinay Kumar, KB Pawan, Krishnan Shrijith, Shreyas Gopal, Praveen Dubey, Aditya Somanna, David Mathias, Mitrakanth Yadav, Abhilash Shetty
- Srinivas Sharath was preferred to Vishnu Priyan in the qualifier of KPL 2019 in the only position in this team that seems to be up for question ahead of the KPL final.
- Prasidh Krishna was back, after being rested for the final group game, and will lead the bowling attack again in the final.
- Bellary Tuskers fell short in their final group game, despite Chidhambaram Gautam hitting 92* in a total of 240/2.
- In reply, Krishnappa Gowtham took 4-28 but the Tuskers lost to Mysore Warriors off the final ball.
- They bounced back in the first qualifier, however, with Gautam in top form again. This time he hit 96 as the Tuskers posted 201/7.
- Belagavi Panthers could only post 164/7 in reply.
- Hubli Tigers have been unchanged for their last three matches, since Shreyas Gopal’s late arrival, and it is unlikely there will be any changes for the final.
- Hubli Tigers have won five of their last six matches since they last met the Tuskers. After a strong finish to the group stage, the Tigers have beaten Shivamogga Lions and Belagavi Panthers to advance through the play-offs.
- Against the Lions, Vinay Kumar and KB Pawan both scored half-centuries and Mitrakanth Yadav and Abhilash Shetty each took three wickets in a 20-run win, defending 190/5.
- Last time out, Mohammed Taha top-scored with 63 in a total of 154 all out.
- In reply, Shetty took 3-33 and Shreyas Gopal’s 2-17 put the breaks on as Belagavi Panthers were bowled out for 128.
PROBABLE WINNING TEAM:
Click Here for Fantasy Picks