ABOUT THE MATCH
The second semi-final of the ICC World Cup 2019 is going to be played between England and Australia at Edgbaston, Birmingham on the 11th of July. Not only are Australia and England the oldest rivals in cricket but they are also going to be playing Ashes against each other in the upcoming weeks.
This makes the result of this match even more important than it already is.
England has no choice but to win its previous two matches to qualify for the semi-final and will be very pleased with how the team stood up under pressure.
Australia has not won an ODI at Edgbaston since 1993. They have also lost against England here in the Champions Trophy 2017. The Aussies, though, are five-time World Cup winners and know better than any other team how to lift their game for the crunch situations.
- This may be a good toss to lose. The previous record suggests that batting first is the right way, but the overhead conditions may favor bowling. We think batting first in a pressure situation might be preferable to the captain that wins the toss.
PITCH AND CONDITIONS
- Australia vs England semi-final ICC World Cup 2019 is going to be played at Edgbaston, Birmingham. There is a fair bit of rain predicted in Birmingham on match day. That means we could see some swinging conditions and a lower scoring match than expected.
- Rain interruptions are expected during the match although the hope is that we should be able to get a full 50 over match in.
- The pitch at Birmingham has been good for batting before slowing up later on in the game. The same kind of surface, perhaps, one that is better for batting than in previous matches is expected
Individual Team Winning Percentage:
Top Order Analysis:
- England, top order looks stronger than Australia.
Middle Order Analysis:
- Somehow, both teams middle order looks similar.
Top Order and Middle Order Analysis:
- England looks stronger than in Australia.
Top bowlers Analysis:
- Both, teams have a good bowling attack.
- Injuries are a big blow to Australia since Khawaja was the player that was able to bat in a controlled manner as the others attacked around him.
- That responsibility is now likely to fall on Steve Smith, who has not been at his best in the ICC World Cup 2019 so far.
- Khawaja’s replacement should be Peter Handscomb going purely by the roles they play in the team but Matthew Wade has been in superb form and could be brought in to increase the hitting power available to Australia.
- David Warner and Aaron Finch are going to have more responsibility on their heads thanks to all these injuries now. Warner has 638 runs to his name while Finch has 507. The third best is Alex Carey with 329 runs.
- The bowling unit of Australia is in good form.
|Top 3 batsman Australia||Top 3 Middle Order Australia||Top 3 Bowler Australia|
|D Warner||S Smith||M Starc|
|A Finch||Maxwell||J Behrendroff|
|M Wade||A Carey||P Cummins|
- After fumbling its way through the group stages, England has finally managed to make it to the semi-final of the ICC World Cup 2019. Now, it stands just two good matches away from re-writing cricket history.
- No England side has ever won the cricket world cup and after 1992 any England side has managed to reach the semi-final.
- England has a very good record at Edgbaston, and we think they would be glad to be playing this match at the venue. The pitch should be flat and allow the English batsmen to play freely and the boundaries are also big enough to give their power hitters an advantage.
- England was the top-ranked team coming into the tournament and has been very good in the ICC World Cup 2019.
- Jason Roy, Jonny Bairstow, Joe Root, Ben Stokes, Eoin Morgan, and Jos Buttler. This is a top-7 that is power-packed and in good form.
- England’s batting is stronger than that of Australia’s with more depth and power at its disposal.
- England has all the tools it needs to win. The only question mark is going to be about its mental strength. The ghosts of losing the semi-final to Pakistan in the Champions Trophy is going to be rearing its head.
- England needs to focus on its recent dominance over Australia and go into the match with a positive mindset.
|Top 3 batsman England||Top 3 Middle Order England||Top 3 Bowler England|
|J Bairstow||E Morgan||J Archer|
|J Roy||Ben Stokes||C Woakes|
|Root||J Buttler||M Wood|
OUR FANTASY LEAGUE PICKS FOR AUSTRALIA VS ENGLAND 2ND SEMI-FINAL ICC CRICKET WORLD CUP 2019 ARE MENTIONED BELOW:
|IF England Bat First||IF Australia Bat First|
|J Bairstow||A Carey|
|J Roy||D Warner|
|B Stokes||S Smith|
|L Plunkett||A Finch|
|C Woakes||M Starc|
|J Archer||P Cummins|
|M Starc||N Lyon|
|J Behrendroff||L Plunkett|
|D Warner||M Wood|
|S Smith||B Stokes|
|A Carey||E Morgan|
*Disclaimer: This team is based on the understanding, analysis, and instinct of the author. While selecting your team, consider the points mentioned and make your own decision.*