ABOUT THE MATCH
The Only Test Match between Afghanistan vs West Indies will take place from November 27 to December 1 at Ekana Stadium, Lucknow.
Afghanistan will be looking to back up their two wins in test cricket, having beaten Ireland and Bangladesh in their last two games. Rashid Khan took 11 wickets and scored a half-century against the latter as he made history the youngest ever captain to win a test.
On the other hand, West Indies has played twice since the advent of the ICC World Test Championship of which Afghanistan is not a part and lost them both. They suffered two heavy defeats at home to India.
Afghanistan won the toss in all three T20 internationals and so West Indies are due this one. It is doubtful they will want to be batting fourth on this wicket, so batting first seems a sensible choice.
PITCH AND CONDITIONS
The Lucknow wicket, which has been used throughout this tour, definitely gives the bowlers something though it is well-balanced. The likelihood is it will become dry and dusty as the test wears on.
And the weather at Lucnknow seems to be clear, sunny conditions are forecast in Lucknow for this test match, with temperatures in the high-20s in the afternoons.
PROBABLE PLAYING XI OF AFGHANISTAN
Ibrahim Zadran, Javed Ahmadi, Ihsanullah, Rahmat Shah, Asghar Afghan, Nasir Jamal, Asfar Zazai (wk), Rashid Khan (c), Amir Hamza, Yamin Ahmadzai, Zia-ur-Rehman
PROBABLE PLAYING XI OF WEST INDIES
John Campbell, Kraigg Brathwaite, Shamarh Brooks, Shai Hope (wk), Roston Chase, Shimron Hetmyer, Jason Holder, Rahkeem Cornwall, Kemar Roach, Alzarri Joseph, Jomel Warrican
- Qais Ahmad, Zahir Khan, and Ibrahim Zadran all made their test debuts in the win against Bangladesh, but only the latter has been involved in the warm-up match for this test.
- Mohammad Nabi and Zahir Khan have both been playing T10 cricket, meanwhile, from the team that beat Bangladesh, so it could be a much-changed line-up.
- Afghanistan has played three test matches so far, losing heavily on their debut against India but beating Ireland and Bangladesh since.
- Against latter Afghanistan’s most recent test Rahmat Shah scored a century and Asghar Afghan hit 92 and 50 across the two innings, but it was Rashid Khan who led them to victory.
- He took 5-55 and 6-49 in the two innings as they bowled Bangladesh out for 205 and 173 to claim a 224-run win.
- Shane Dowrich was behind the stumps in the warm-up match, though Shai Hope could also keep. Jason Holder remains captain of the test team, which will see Alzarri Joseph replace Shannon Gabriel from the team beaten by India.
- Kemar Roach bowled just two overs in the warm-up match and so will need to be assessed. Keemo Paul would be his alternative.
- West Indies lost their most recent test series heavily against India.
- Their only matches in the ICC World Test Championship so far, they were bowled out for 222 and 100 to lose the first match by 318 runs, and then posted 117 and 210 on their way to a 257-run defeat in the second test.
PROBABLE WINNING TEAM:
Afghanistan has made a strong start to its test-match history and could earn a third consecutive win in the format if the likes of Rashid Khan hit top form.
Here are the Fantasy Picks.