PITCH AND CONDITIONS
The weather in Dubai has barely changed throughout this tournament. The heat will ease a little, but it will still be in the 30s under clear, sunny skies on Friday.
Particularly for teams batting first, the Dubai International Cricket Stadium can be an excellent pitch for batting.
- Stuart Thompson returned in place of injured David Delany against Nigeria, but with Craig Young who had also been competing with the two for a place in excellent bowling form, Thompson was not used.
- Ireland won four of their six matches in the group stage, bouncing back from defeat to Canada with big wins against Jersey and Nigeria wins which boosted their net run rate sufficiently to claim the top spot.
- Against Jersey, Mark Adair took 3-10 as they bowled the Channel Islanders out for 105 before Paul Stirling’s unbeaten half-century led them to an eight-wicket win in 14 overs.
- Then, against Nigeria, Craig Young’s 4-13 helped limit the opposition to 66/9, and Kevin O’Brien top-scored with 32 as Ireland took just 37 balls to seal another eight-wicket win.
PROBABLE PLAYING XI OF Ireland
Paul Stirling, Kevin O’Brien, Gareth Delany, Andrew Balbirnie, Gary Wilson (c, wk), Harry Tector, George Dockrell, Mark Adair, Stuart Thompson, Boyd Rankin, Craig Young
- The decision to alter the balance of the team, dropping out-of-form Tobias Visee and bringing in Fred Klaassen to bolster the pace attack, paid off as the Dutch bowlers ripped through the UAE last time out.
- They could stick with that same balance again now to face the Irish.
- After defeat to Papua New Guinea their only one in the group stage, but ultimately the loss that cost them top spot the Netherlands have roared back with three consecutive wins.
- Max O’Dowd and Ben Coope hit half-centuries in a big win against Bermuda, before Ryan ten Doeschate did likewise as the Dutch chased 131 to beat Scotland by four wickets.
- Last time out, however, it was all about the Dutch bowling as they booked their World Cup spot.
- Brandon Glover led the way with 4-12, while Paul van Meekeren and Timm van der Gugten took two wickets apiece as they restricted the UAE to 80/9 and then cruised to an eight-wicket win.
PROBABLE PLAYING XI OF Netherlands
Max O’Dowd, Ben Cooper, Colin Ackermann, Ryan ten Doeschate, Pieter Seelaar (c), Roelof van der Merwe, Scott Edwards (wk), Brandon Glover, Timm van der Gugten, Paul van Meekeren, Fred Klaassen
OUR FANTASY LEAGUE PICKS FOR Ireland vs Netherlands Semifinal 1 IN ICC WORLD TWENTY20 QUALIFIER ARE MENTIONED BELOW:
- Max O’Dowd
- Gareth Delany
- Gary Wilson
- Paul van Meekeren (C)
- Ryan ten Doeschate
- Roelof van der Merwe
- Brandon Glover
- Ben Cooper
- Timm van der Gugten
- Paul Stirling
- Mark Adair (VC)
Click Here for Match Prediction.
*Disclaimer: A team here is picked based on the perception, analysis, and gut feeling of the author. When you select your team, analyze the points mentioned to arrive at your own decision.*