PITCH AND CONDITIONS
The skies are likely to remain clear on all five days of this test match. Pleasant weather can be expected each day with plenty of sunshine and a little breeze. Temperature is expected to be between 19 and 21 degrees Celsius on an opening day.
The pitch at the Kennington Oval generally tends to be the best for batting during the first couple of days of a test match. The surface starts to deteriorate thereafter and offers more assistance to the bowlers. 349 is the average score at this ground in the first innings.
- Despite the massive defeat at Manchester, England have named an unchanged 13-man squad for this fifth Ashes test.
- Ben Stokes’ fitness is a big concern for the home team heading into the series finale.
- The all-rounder picked up a shoulder injury in the last game and it remains to be seen whether he will be fit enough to bowl at the Oval.
- If not, then Stokes will play only as a specialist batsman and the team will have to rope in a seam-bowling option in Sam Curran or Chris Woakes.
- Jason Roy, who has averaged only 13 in the series, will probably make way for one of these two all-rounders in that case.
- England may even consider playing both Curran and Woakes by dropping fast bowling all-rounder Craig Overton.
- England has not been as consistent in this format this year as they were last year.
- They have now lost their fourth test out of the eight they have played so far since the start of 2019.
- After a Ben Stokes’ special helped the hosts secure an improbable victory in the third test at Leeds, they suffered a massive 185-run defeat to Australia last time out at Manchester.
- While England’s bowlers had a tough time in the first innings, their batsmen surrendered to the quality bowling by the Aussie quicks in the fourth innings.
PROBABLE PLAYING XI OF ENGLAND
Rory Burns, Joe Denly, Joe Root (c), Ben Stokes, Jonny Bairstow (wk), Jos Buttler, Sam Curran, Chris Woakes, Jofra Archer, Stuart Broad, Jack Leach
- Australia has retained their 17-man squad for this fifth Ashes test match.
- Unlike the home team, none of their players have been reported to be injured and we expect them to go into this game with an unchanged line-up, especially after their resounding win at Manchester.
- David Warner’s form at the top of the order is a major concern for the Aussies but the selectors might want to stick with him.
- After suffering plenty of test defeats last year, it seems Australia is now starting to tighten their grip in this format.
- The Aussies have now won four and lost only one out of the seven test matches they have played this year.
- They carried out a 2-0 drubbing of Sri Lanka at home earlier in the year and now find themselves in a position from where they cannot possibly lose the ongoing Ashes series.
- After the heartbreaking loss at Leeds, Australia has shown a lot of character in making a strong comeback and registering a crushing win in the last game.
PROBABLE PLAYING XI OF AUSTRALIA
David Warner, Marcus Harris, Marnus Labuschagne, Steven Smith, Travis Head, Matthew Wade, Tim Paine (c/wk), Pat Cummins, Mitchell Starc, Nathan Lyon, Josh Hazlewood
TEAM FORM IN LAST 5 MATCHES | ENG VS AUS – 5th Test Ashes 2019
- England Won: W,L,D,W,L
- Australia Won: W,W,D,L,W
OUR FANTASY LEAGUE PICKS FOR ENGLAND VS AUSTRALIA 5TH TEST ASHES 2019 ARE MENTIONED BELOW:
- Marcus Harris
- Marnus Labuschagne
- Jonny Bairstow
- Josh Hazlewood
- Rory Burns
- Travis Head
- Pat Cummins (VC)
- Steven Smith (C)
- Stuart Broad
- Joe Root
- Jofra Archer
Click Here for Match Prediction.
*Disclaimer: This team is based on the understanding, analysis, and instinct of the author. While selecting your team, consider the points mentioned and make your own decision.*