PITCH AND CONDITIONS
Pleasant weather has been forecast for this fourth Ashes test. Although a few showers are expected in the third and fifth day, there should still be plenty of time for a result. Temperatures are likely to remain around 14-16 degrees Celsius throughout the match.
The Old Trafford generally offers very good conditions for batting, especially during the first couple of days of a test match. The amount of assistance for the seam bowlers will depend on how much grass has been left on the pitch. Spinners are likely to come into play from day four onwards.
- England has named a 13-man squad for this upcoming fourth Ashes test match. Somerset pace bowler Craig Overton has been picked in the team, replacing James Anderson who has been ruled out of the remainder of the tournament.
- The veteran seamer has not yet recovered from the calf injury he had sustained during the first test.
- The hosts are coming off a win and we expect them to retain the same group of eleven from last time.
- All-rounder Sam Curran may have to look at the proceedings from the sidelines once again.
- Jason Roy and Joe Denly will swap positions in the batting order with the latter set to open alongside Rory Burns.
- England has played seven test matches so far this year out of which they have drawn one, won three and lost as many.
- They did not have the best of starts this year as they suffered a 1-2 series defeat in the West Indies against the hosts in January-February.
- They later thrashed Ireland by 143 runs at the Lord’s before coming into the Ashes.
- England was outplayed by Australia in the first test of the ongoing series.
- They drew the second one before snatching victory from the jaws of defeat in the third test.
PROBABLE PLAYING XI OF ENGLAND
Rory Burns, Jason Roy, Joe Root (c), Joe Denly, Ben Stokes, Jonny Bairstow (wk), Jos Buttler, Chris Woakes, Jofra Archer, Stuart Broad, Jack Leach
- Australia will welcome their star batsman Steven Smith back into the side after having missed the third test due to the neck injury he had picked up while batting in the second test.
- Travis Head might be the one to make way for him in the line-up.
- The visitors may look to freshen up their pace attack and so they could consider bringing in left-arm Mitchell Starc.
- If he gets picked, there is a good chance that Mitchell Marsh may also be drafted into the playing eleven.
- Australia has won three, drawn a couple and lost only one out of the six test matches they have played so far this year.
- After going down to India 1-2 at home earlier in the year, they swept Sri Lanka in a two-match home series.
- Both of those wins were quite dominating – they won by an innings and 40 runs at Brisbane before securing a 366-run victory at Canberra.
- The Aussies started off the Ashes with a bang, decimating the hosts to win by a whopping 251 runs.
- Australia was very competitive last time out even without Steven Smith in their side but they would be very disappointed having the lost the game that they should have won so easily.
PROBABLE PLAYING XI OF AUSTRALIA
David Warner, Marcus Harris, Steven Smith, Marnus Labuschagne, Matthew Wade/Mitchell Marsh, Tim Paine (c/wk), Peter Siddle, Mitchell Starc, Pat Cummins, Nathan Lyon, Josh Hazlewood
TEAM FORM IN LAST 5 MATCHES | ENG VS AUS – 4th Test Ashes 2019
- England Won: W,W,L,D,W
- Australia Won: W,W,W,D,L
OUR FANTASY LEAGUE PICKS FOR ENGLAND VS AUSTRALIA 4th TEST ASHES 2019 ARE MENTIONED BELOW:
- Marcus Harris
- Marnus Labuschagne
- Jonny Bairstow
- Nathan Lyon
- Rory Burns
- Ben Stokes
- Tim Paine
- Pat Cummins
- Steven Smith (C)
- Stuart Broad
- Jofra Archer
Click Here for Match Prediction.
*Disclaimer: This team is based on the understanding, analysis, and instinct of the author. While selecting your team, consider the points mentioned and make your own decision.*