BCCI Needs Government Approval For SA Tour Due To COVID Concerns

0
77
IND vs SA-BCCI
Image Source: Twitter.com

Despite the existing COVID-19 variation in South Africa, India’s December-January tour to the country will be in trouble. So far, the borders between both the two countries are open, however, it is unclear how the scenario would play out across the schedule of December 8 & 9, when the Indian squad is scheduled to go to South Africa. It should be observed that the BCCI would now need to obtain specific authorization from the Indian government before finalizing its travelling arrangements.

Following the discovery of the additional variant COVID-19 virus, which has already been recognized as a variant of caution by WHO, the Netherlands team has opted to cancel their 2 remaining ODIs against South Africa. In the very same way, the women’s ODI World Cup qualifiers in South Africa have been cancelled completely.

Similarly, BCCI treasurer Arun Dhumal noted that both the CSA and the Indian cricket board are in contact to make the ultimate decision, with the safety of the players taking priority. The first Test against SA is currently scheduled for December 17th.

BCCI or any other should take permission from the government of India: Anurag Thakur

We are monitoring the situation closely and players’ safety is paramount for both BCCI and CSA. Both boards are in touch. They will take a final call soon. We will abide by travel directives from the Indian government in the interim“. said BCCI treasurer Arun Dhumal.

In such situations, every board, be it BCCI or any other, should take permission from the government of India. The government will make a decision when it gets the application from them (BCCI),” said former BCCI President and Sports Minister Anurag Thakur on the development of India’s SA tour.

Furthermore, India A is now in South Africa competing with their A squad, and they will finish their remaining 2 red ball games against the hosting country. India A not returning home may imply that the senior squad will go, however, numerous nations have already begun to prohibit travel from South African provinces.

Matched Content Ad