The International Cricket Council (ICC) has postponed all the qualifying matches for the T20 world cup that will be played in 2021 and the One Day International World Cup that will be held in 2023 because of the coronavirus scare.
The qualifying matches were scheduled to be played before June 30 previously. The ICC released a statement that said, “After careful evaluation of the current situation and with the health and well-being of the global cricket family the priority, all ICC qualifying events due to take place before 30 June will be postponed subject to further review. The decision has been taken in conjunction with Members and in line with the relevant government and public health authority advice”.
Chris Tetley, ICC head of events, said,” In light of the significant global health concerns at the current time and the restrictions on movement imposed by governments across the world, the ICC has taken the decision to postpone all events up until the end of June subject to further review.”
He added, ”Work will continue on contingency plans and options for both men’s qualification pathways. We will provide updates in due course on these plans and decisions on the staging of the remaining events this year.”
The decision has affected tournaments that will take place in Kuwait, South Africa, Spain, Belgium, Malaysia, and Finland.
Two T20 World Cups In Two Consecutive Years
The 2021 T20 world cup will be hosted by India after the Champion’s trophy that was to be held in 2021 was replaced with the T20 world cup by ICC in the year 2018.
ICC decided to scrap the quadrennial Champions Trophy as many felt it was irrelevant when there was a world cup.
So there will be two world cup tournaments in two consecutive years 2020 and 2021. The 2020 event will be held in Australia.
The 50 over world cup in 2023 will also take place in India.